Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum
In 1919 a project was established to catalogue all known Greek vases and related wares in museums and private collections across the world. The first volume in 1922 presented part of the collection in the Louvre. The Hermitage Museum joined the project in 2004 and Professor Piotrovsky is head of the Russian committee of the Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum (http://www.cvaonline.org/cva/). In 2016 the Hermitage Foundation UK funded the translation of two volumes of the vases in the Hermitage, which appeared in spring 2017, bringing the total to twelve, with more in the pipeline.
The two volumes supported by the Hermitage Foundation UK were of Corinthian vases by Dr Anastasia Bukina – past recipient of a Visiting Curators grant – and Attic red-figure drinking cups by Dr Anna Petrakova – who will be making a research visit to the UK in November 2017 under the scheme. The translations were carried out by a specialist art historian, Dr Catherine Phillips.
One of the volumes sponsored by the Hermitage Foundation UK and Drs Bukina and Petrakova with their book on the history of the Hermitage’s vase collection, published in Oxford in 2013